Kochie knew it was coming: How David Koch hinted at Mel Doyle’s departure TWO MONTHS ago in a cryptic Instagram post – as she quits Channel Seven after 25 years
Melissa Doyle was dropped from Channel Seven amid COVID-19 cutbacks on Friday in a shock announcement.
But it appears, her former Sunrise co-host David Koch may have hinted at Melissa’s departure two months ago in a cryptic Instagram post.
In June, David, known as ‘Kochie’, 64, mysteriously shared throwback photos from the early days of his career with the veteran broadcaster.
Kochie knew it was coming: How David Koch (pictured) hinted at Melissa Doyle’s departure TWO MONTHS ago in a cryptic Instagram post
The photos, posted to Instagram Stories and vanishing 24 hours later, showed the pair on location in 2005, and on set at another unspecified earlier date.
David explained in his captions: ‘Wow, just found this. First major outside broadcast. 2005 tsunami fundraising concert’.
In a second caption he wrote: ‘And the Roswall. Wow those were great days’.
Best of mates! In June, David mysteriously shared throwback photos from the early days of his career with Melissa
At the time, David’s posts raised suspicions, with claims that Melissa’s contract was ‘under review’ according to The Daily Telegraph.
Seven CEO James Warburton told the paper that there had been ‘no discussion’ with Melissa or her agent on the matter.
David and Melissa co-hosted Sunrise together from 2002 to 2013, before she was axed and replaced by Sam Armytage.
Throwbacks: The photos, posted to Instagram Stories and vanishing 24 hours later, showed the pair on location in 2005, and on set at another unspecified earlier date
On Friday, Channel Seven announced Melissa has left the network after 25 years.
Her departure is believed to be the result of the economic downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, which has hit Seven particularly hard.
The former Sunrise host, 50, said in a statement: ‘For 25 years, I have called Channel Seven home. I’ve had the privilege to share stories that mattered, meet incredible people and be there for significant moments in history.’
Moving on? At the time, the posts raised suspicions, with claims that her contract was ‘under review’ according to The Daily Telegraph
She continued: ‘I am incredibly proud of the work I have done and appreciative of the trust and warmth our viewers have shown me.
‘I want to thank the consummate professionals I have worked with along the way, in particular our Chairman Kerry Stokes for his constant support.’
She concluded: ‘I leave Seven with a great deal of pride, satisfaction and gratitude.’
End of an era: On Friday, the network announced Melissa (pictured) has left Channel Seven after 25 years