Second debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden is officially OFF

BREAKING NEWS: Second debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden is officially OFF after president refused virtual head-to-head in wake of COVID hospitalization

  • The Commission on Presidential Debates has officially called off the second debate, which was to take place on Thursday in Miami 
  • The Wall Street Journal reported Friday afternoon that the face-off had been canned, citing a person familiar with the matter
  • The news broke minutes after the Trump campaign had sent out an email to supporters asking they ‘make a statement’ and push for the debate to be held
  • Throughout Thursday, the Trump campaign and Democratic nominee Joe Biden’s campaign traded barbs about the next debate’s date and format 
  • Biden has already rescheduled a town hall event for Thursday night, which will take place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • The president’s doctor said Thursday he should be good to return to public life Saturday after his fight with COVID-19 
  • Trump will hold an event on the South Lawn where he’ll address a crowd from the balcony and plans to host a rally in Florida on Monday  

The Commission on Presidential Debates has officially called off the October 15 debate between President Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden

The Wall Street Journal reported Friday afternoon that the second face-off between the two candidates was cancelled, citing a person familiar with the matter. 

The news broke minutes after the Trump campaign had sent out a note to supporters asking them to ‘make a statement SO LOUD’ that the debate should be held in-person on October 15 as scheduled, as ‘President Trump’s doctor says he will be ready to go by SATURDAY.’ 

 The Commission on Presidential Debates called off the second debate between President Donald Trump (pictured) and Democratic nominee Joe Biden after Trump caught the coronavirus and then refused to participate virtually

Joe Biden's (pictured) campaign pushed back on the Trump's campaign idea to change the dates of the debate in order for them to be held in-person. Biden has now agreed to participate in a town hall event Thursday in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Joe Biden’s (pictured) campaign pushed back on the Trump’s campaign idea to change the dates of the debate in order for them to be held in-person. Biden has now agreed to participate in a town hall event Thursday in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 

On Thursday, the president refused to participate in a virtual debate with Biden, a change made in response to his COVID-19 diagnosis. 

Questions remain whether he already was infected when he debated Biden onstage in Cleveland on September 29, two days before he tested positive for the coronavirus. 

The White House has refused to say when the president last tested negative for COVID-19, but participants were supposed to have been tested in the 72 hours leading up to the debate. 

Throughout Thursday, the Trump and Biden campaigns put out statements about the Miami debate, with the president’s campaign urging the Commission on Presidential Debates to reschedule them for October 22 and October 29 instead. 

The election is on November 3.  

‘Donald Trump doesn’t make the debate schedule; the Debate Commission does. We accepted the three dates – Sept. 29, Oct. 15, and Oct. 22 – in June,’ Biden’s campaign said in response. 

‘Trump’s erratic behavior does not allow him to rewrite the calendar, and pick new dates of his choosing,’ the Biden campaign continued. 

Biden’s campaign agreed to participate in the final October 22 debate, which is scheduled to take place in Nashville, Tennessee. 

The Democratic nominee has already agreed to take part in a town hall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on October 15.

The Miami debate was supposed to have a town hall format. 

Trump’s doctor sent out a note Thursday night, saying, ‘I fully anticipate the president’s safe return to public engagements’ on Saturday. 

The president plans to host an event at the White House Saturday, speaking to a South Lawn audience from the balcony. 

The Trump campaign also announced he would hold a rally Monday in Sanford, Florida.   

Add Comment