Hay presto!: Minted lamb, aubergine and feta pie
It’s a pie but not as you know it. I’ve taken classic Greek ingredients and combined them in this layered dish that makes each flavour really shine. It’s impressively tasty with minimal effort.
3 x 350g medium aubergines, thinly sliced into rounds
500g good-quality lean
70g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp ground cumin
4g chopped mint leaves,
plus extra mint leaves
2 tbsp pine nuts
sea salt and cracked black pepper
150g firm feta
8 oregano sprigs
1 tsp sumac
extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
280g plain Greek-style
2 tbsp shredded mint leaves
sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6. Brush a 28cm round baking dish with oil. Layer half the aubergine in a circular motion on the baking dish, starting from the centre and working your way out.
- Place the mince, breadcrumbs, honey, cumin, mint and pine nuts in a large bowl with salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Press the mince on to the aubergines and crumble over the feta. Add another layer of aubergines, starting from the centre and working out. Sprinkle over the oregano and top with the sumac and drizzle with oil.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the lamb is cooked through and the aubergine is golden.
- Combine the yoghurt, mint and salt, to taste, in a bowl.
- To serve, divide the pie between 4 plates and top with the yoghurt mix and extra mint.