Hay presto!: Sticky miso chicken roasted on sesame squash
The perfect balance of salty and sweet, miso chicken is the absolute star in this recipe. Get creative with a simple switch of veg and herbs for a tasty new spin. Permission granted!
1.5kg butternut squash, skin scrubbed and thinly sliced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp sesame seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
sea salt flakes
spring onion, thinly sliced and coriander leaves, to serve
Sticky miso chicken
95g white miso paste
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
60ml mirin (Japanese rice wine)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
6 x 125g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed and halved
- Preheat oven to 240C/ 220C fan/gas 9.
- Place the squash, oil, sesame seeds and salt in a bowl then toss to coat. Place on a large baking tray lined with nonstick baking paper. Roast the squash for 20 minutes.
- To make the sticky miso chicken, place the miso, oil, soy, mirin, sugar and vinegar in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Set aside until ready to use.
- When the squash has been cooked for the 20 minutes, top it with the miso chicken and pour over any remaining miso marinade. Roast for a further 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- To serve, divide between plates, sprinkle with extra sesame seeds and top with spring onion and coriander.